Monday, August 9, 2010

Glenn Arthur

Very alluring paintings by Glenn Arthur. His style is very much influenced by nouveau art but with a very modern and edgy kick. I sent Glenn some questions.

Questions after the jump.



Who is Glenn Arthur?
- I am Glenn Arthur. A self taught artist from Orange County, CA obsessed with painting the imagery in my mind. I’m a perfectionist in love with imperfection.

When did you realize that you wanted to make art for a living?

- In the summer of 2007 my best friend took me by the hand and forced a paintbrush into it. She said “You need to do this.” The rest is history.

What type of media do you use?
- I prefer to use acrylic paints on wood panels. I paint in layers of light washes of color. I love the way the wood grain comes through the paint.

I find that the subject matter in your work is usually female, is there a reason?

- I prefer to paint emotionally charged images. Women tend to convey these feelings more convincingly then men. There is just something about the feminine figure that is so alluring.

What is the symbolism involved with the various birds?

- The birds I paint are hummingbirds. The hummingbird has always been my favorite animal. There is something so magical and mysterious about them not to mention the many myths throughout history involving them. In my work they tend to play a whimsical balance to the heavy emotion in my paintings. They also play the role of conscience and companion to the women I paint.

What do you think your general aesthetic is or what do you find appealing when it comes to art?

- Well as I said before emotion is a huge aesthetic for me. Any artwork that tugs at my heart or can stir an emotion is appealing to me.

Who are some of your favorite artists?

- My absolute favorite artist of all time is Alponse Mucha. I can’t think of any other artist, past or present, that has inspired and influenced my work as much as he has. His work is everything that mine aspires to be but with my own flare and style of course.

Do you have any advice for younger artists trying to make it in the art world?

- Be prolific! Make art as often as you can and don’t ever stop. Let it be your voice and shout with it as loud as you can! Stay humble and never let your ego get in the way of your passion. Remember that a true artist not only knows how to draw the line, but why to draw the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment